For accessories such as shoes, sandals, boots… we encounter a lot of different problems, such as boots that have not been broken in, too tight, too wide, too stiff… These things make you no longer feel comfortable when using these footwears.
Especially with cowboy boots, the leather is very durable and stiff. It takes a lot of time to break in or stretch them.
These are the problems you often encounter when wearing cowboy boys.
How to make cowboy boots more comfortable? Discover with us!
- What causes you discomfort when wearing cowboy boots?
- How to Make Cowboy Boots More Comfortable?
- Method 1: Use additional cushion insole
- Method 2: Use heel insert
- Method 3: Keep cowboy boots dry
- Method 4: Use thick socks, sports socks, yoga socks
- Method 5: Use ball of foot cushions
- Method 6: Keep cowboy boots in shape
- Method 7: Use boot trees
- Method 8: You need to stretching/break in cowboy boots
- Method 9: Use baby powder or steam inside cowboy boots
- Why are cowboy boots so uncomfortable?
- Is it normal for new boots to hurt?
- Before you leave
What causes you discomfort when wearing cowboy boots?
There are many different reasons that make you uncomfortable when wearing cowboy boots:
- Cowboy boots are new and not yet broken in, resulting in sore feet
- Cowboy boots are too tight for foot pain
- Cowboy boots are too wide (heel slippage) so the boots slip out.
- Leather of cowboy boots are tough
- Insole of cowboy boots is not smooth
- The toe box of boots is too narrow
- The instep is too loose or too tight
All of these will adversely affect the experience of using one of the best boots in the world.
Don’t worry, we’ll show you 9 ways to solve these annoying problems.
How to Make Cowboy Boots More Comfortable?
Method 1: Use additional cushion insole
- Round toe
- Gel heel and foot pads
- Ats technology
Using extra insoles is one of the most common ways to make cowboy boots more comfortable.
Most cowboy boots do not have good arch support like sneakers, which is difficult for people with flat feet or high arched feet to wear cowboy boots.
That’s when you need extra insoles, they will comfort your feet better.
In addition, if your cowboy boots are loose on the instep, then using an extra cushion insole is a good way to raise your foot up to fit the instep.
These cushion insoles also work very well for wearing cowboy boots all day.
Read more: Best Cowboy Boot Insoles
- Antimicrobial mesh covering to prevent odor-causing bacteria
- Memory foam for all day comfort
- Airflow channels provide cool circulation
Method 2: Use heel insert
- HEEL PAIN RELIEF: The heel grips protect and support your heels from pain, blisters, and rubbing,...
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: The soft, ergonomic design replicates the contour of your heels, cushioning them...
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Super sticky backing is made from CROWN #513 double-sided tape to prevent...
When you use cowboy boots that are too tight on your heels, your heels may get blisters and your feet feel uncomfortable. Well, you should think about heel inserts.
There are two different types of heel inserts, one is heel cushion to prevent lower heel pain, another is heel grip to prevent back heel blistering.
Besides, if cowboy boots are loose at the heel causing heel slippage, it will affect your gait, make you uncomfortable and lose flexibility.
To solve this problem, you should use heel inserts to help the cowboy boots fit your heels better.
Heel inserts are a great way to improve the comfort of your cowboy boots.
- FAST AND NATURAL PAIN RELIEF FOR YOUR FEET - Ideal treatment for plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, bone...
- DESIGNED BY DOCTORS AND CLINICALLY PROVEN - Re-align the plantar fascia ligament that spans the sole...
- OUR FIRMEST INSERTS FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS - The Original Heel Seats are made of an extra firm...
Method 3: Keep cowboy boots dry
Wearing a wet cowboy boot is always the top unpleasant thing in your life.
Especially in the winter or rainy days, the boots are very easy to get wet.
After the boots get wet in the rain, you should have a way to take care of them properly
Read more: How to Dry Cowboy Boots?
We suggest some remedies for this situation:
- Use a hair dryer to dry the boots, tuck the toilet paper or absorbent paper into the boots to help the boots dry – Be careful not to set the temperature of the dryers too high
- Damage protection hair dryer for shiny, healthy hair
- 3X more protection with advanced coating technology
- Healthier Hair with Proprietary Micro Conditioner Technology
- Use lime powder is also a good way to dehumidify cowboy boots.
- Put cowboy boots in a dry place and do not let the boots get wet many times.
- Use boot trees
Read more: Are cowboy boots waterproof
Method 4: Use thick socks, sports socks, yoga socks
- Full cushion foot
- Over the calf
- 2 pack of socks
Perhaps one of the reasons why you are uncomfortable when wearing cowboy boots is because you don’t wear socks.
A tip is that if your boots are loose, you should use a pair of thick or athletic socks. They have 3 usages:
- Help your feet fit the wide cowboy boots
- Thick and soft socks cuddle your feet better
- Protect your feet from blisters or pain if the boots are too tight or they are in break-in process.
Besides, to solve heel slippage in cowboy boots that are wide at the heel, you can use non-slip yoga socks. They could fight the heel slipping very well.
Read more: Best Socks for Cowboy Boots
Method 5: Use ball of foot cushions
Those who have to work outdoors all day are more likely to experience foot pain in the ball of foot, which is why the ball of foot cushion was born.
It works to cradle and protect your feet from shocks while working outdoors. Ball of foot cushion will be a great help there.
Besides, the tight toe cowboy boots will make your forefoot painful. While waiting for cowboy boots to stretch in forefoot, use the ball of foot cushion.
Method 6: Keep cowboy boots in shape
Keeping for cowboy boots in shape is essential because folded cowboy boots will create angled wrinkles that might irritate your feet.
You should use a boot shaper to shape your boots, this will make the boots more comfortable for you to wear.
In addition to the boot shaper, you can also insert paper into the cowboy boots shaft to keep them from wrinkling.
- The original Spring-loaded design to provide just the right tension for all types and styles of...
- Keeps your boots in good shape, preventing cracks and creases and prolongs the life of your boot;...
- Easy to use, no assembly required; durable construction; includes hooks so that boots can hang
Method 7: Use boot trees
- WESTERN TREE: Designed specifically to fit western style cowboy boots!
- PAIRS: Receive a pair of western cedar boot trees to match with pairs of boots!
- CEDAR: Natural USA Cedar keeps boots smelling great while also absorbing moisture!
After a long time of using, cowboy boots can shrink or mold due to external forces such as weather (winter, rainy season) and temperatures (cold). That makes cowboy boots unpleasant.
In this case, you will need a boot tree. Boot tree is a great tool to make cowboy boots more comfortable.
Just insert the boot trees into the cowboy boots. The boot trees can dehumidify and keep the shape of the cowboy boots. The next day, just put on your comfortable cowboy boots and thank your wonderful boot trees.
Method 8: You need to stretching/break in cowboy boots
Newly bought cowboy boots can be hard and make your feet uncomfortable, they need some time to break in, if you want to speed up that process, you can do some common things such as:
- Wear more with thick socks
- Steam inside cowboy boots
- Use boot stretcher
- Use alcohol
- Use lotion
- Use boot stretcher spray
- Use a hair dryer
- Spray the water
We have very detailed instructions on how to break in new cowboy boots here
In general, the methods to break in cowboy boots or stretch cowboy boots have many similarities.
If your cowboy boots are not new and you want to know the “right” ways to stretch tight cowboy boots, we have a guide here.
- THE BLOODHOUND BOOT STRETCHER - Stretch your Western Cowboy Boots into the Perfect Fit with this...
- TARGETED STRETCHING WITH 6 STEEL BUNION PLUGS - These included metal plugs allow you to Loosen...
- THE LAST COWBOY BOOT STRETCHER - Because of the Heavy-Duty "No-Plastic" Construction, this...
Method 9: Use baby powder or steam inside cowboy boots
Here are two very simple ways to soften the inside of the cowboy boot and to make your foot more comfortable when wearing cowboy boots.
You can make use of your family’s kettle, use the raising steam of boiling water to steam inside cowboy boots to make them softer.
Using a bit of baby powder before you put on cowboy boots to go out is also a good way to help your feet dry, more comfortable.
Why are cowboy boots so uncomfortable?
In fact, cowboy boots are extremely comfortable to wear, it is hard to wear any footwear that gives you a greater experience than cowboy boots.
Cowboy boots were born to serve cowboys in the western United States for outdoor work, farm work, and horses riding. So they are usually worn all day.
Because of the nature of such works, cowboy boots are very comfortable. They give you absolute balance and stability.
However, like other shoes, there are some cases when cowboy boots make you feel uncomfortable to wear.
There are 3 main reasons why your cowboy boots are uncomfortable:
1/ Buy the wrong size cowboy boots
One of the most common causes of your cowboy boot experience is uncomfortable buying the wrong size of boots (or boots that don’t fit true to size)
If you get the chance to buy boots at Amazon, you will be surprised that even the highly rated cowboy boots (nearly 90% of reviews of 4 stars to 5 stars), there still exist many 1-star reviews.
And those 1-star reviews are due to getting the wrong size of cowboy boots. What a pity!
There are two ways to solve this problem:
- Firstly, read our article on choosing the right cowboy boot size here
- The second is that you should read the reviews of those who have bought before, those are valuable comments for you.
The tight cowboy boots will hurt your legs when wearing them, and the large cowboy boots will lead to heel slippage …which will affect your gait and make you uncomfortable.
Read more: How to make Cowboy Boots Fit Tighter
Besides, there are many methods to overcome tight cowboy boots by stretching them here
2/ Cowboy boots are too new
New cowboy boots are usually quite hard (not just cowboy boots) and it’s time to break in cowboy boots.
There are many methods to break in boots, such as wearing boots more often, using boot stretchers, lotion, boot stretcher spray … and again, we have an article about methods to break in cowboy boots here.
Cowboy boots are very durable (I have a friend who has used them for more than 10 years), which means the leather is very strong and can be a bit stiff.
But don’t worry, cowboy boots have cushion insoles and soft lining. Therefore, you will no longer feel uncomfortable after using it for a short time.
3/ Buying fake or poor quality cowboy boots
There are lots of fake cowboy boots on the market that are bad for your feet.
You should carefully double check the brand of your boots before deciding to buy. Don’t buy cheap boots from unknown origins. As cowboy boots can last for up to 10 years, it is worth spending a slightly expensive price in exchange for a new boot.
Is it normal for new boots to hurt?
Yes, it is normal but you can avoid getting hurt by new cowboy boots. On the other hand, there are some boots that fit you from the first time.
As you know, the newly purchased boots or shoes are quite stiff at first.
When breaking in the new cowboy boots, you can use thick socks or sports socks to massage your feet. With socks, it cradles your feet while waiting for stretching boots.
Don’t worry, except if cowboy boots are too tight due to the wrong size, it just takes a short time wearing boots, your boots will be stretched and softer. It usually takes 1 to 2 weeks to break in.
Before you leave
The methods we introduced above are the easiest methods to do at home, and I hope those methods can solve your problems.
If your boots have just been purchased, be patient and wait for them to break in.
If you’ve bought them for a long time and they still make your feet uncomfortable, use the methods above.
In short, the methods to make cowboy boots more comfortable will depend on the problems of each person when wearing boots encountered.