You’ve bought Ariat cowboy boots and feel unhappy at the first moment putting on boots.
The sole of the boots is not flexible for moving.
The width of the boots is not enough room for the feet to feel comfortable.
You feel heel pain and feet numbness.
You feel it’s a big mistake to buy these cowboy boots!
You want to return these boots immediately!
But wait … actually it’s not that bad.
How to make boots become more friendly to you?
All you need is to break in your new boots.
- 1 How to break in cowboy boots
- 2 2 ways that you CANNOT use to break-in your cowboy boots
- 3 Before you leave
- 4 [FAQ] What is the best way to break in cowboy boots?
- 5 How long does it take to break in cowboy boots
- 6 Are cowboy boots comfortable?
- 7 How to break in cowboy boots fast?
- 8 How to break in cowboy boots overnight
How to break in cowboy boots
Actually, the problems mentioned above are the ones that often happen with new cowboy boots.
With cowboy boots made from genuine leather, it is quite hard when first putting on them.
At this time, the sole, heel, shaft and toe of cowboy boots are very new, so when you wear them, it can cause foot pain and discomfort.
This is what many people do not realize. Then they think that leather cowboy boots are always uncomfortable so they decide not to buy these boots.
In essence, leather is a material with good elasticity. Therefore, the more you go, the more you feel the softness and firmness of the leather shoes.
Like newlyweds, the early days of family life can be difficult. If you try your best for your spouse, the results will be sweet.
Cowboy boots are the same case, as long as you give it a little time. You absolutely can have a nice love affair with it up to … 15 years
Don’t rush to throw your new boots, try these ways to get along with them:
11 ways to break in your cowboy boots
The first 3 methods are considered the best ones without affecting the quality of cowboy boots.
Method 1: Wear them
Give your boots more time to adapt to your feet.
Wear them everywhere, wear them daily, wear them to work, hang out, go flirt with your partners, go to the supermarket… Even when sitting, don’t let your feet stay still.
All you need is to put your boots on and go. Pretty simple and effective way, right?
These are the most effective ways, once the boots have been broken-in, they will fit you like a glove
When using this method, it often takes 1 to 3 weeks to get your boots broken in.
Remember: Love is only beautiful when overcoming sufferings.
In fact, to ease suffering, you can wear cowboy boots with thick socks. Thick socks will be soft enough to serve your feet while waiting for the boots to break in.
- COMFORT SUPPORT - More softness and comfort with thickened towel bottom design, which can reduce foot friction and relieve foot fatigue.
- GREAT ELASTICITY - Elastic rubber bands are used in the welt and foot arch to make sure the socks stay up-compressed in shape and fit snugly, comfortably attached to your calf.
- UNIQUE DESIGN - YUEDGE socks have employed seamless splicing design, the toe seam is pretty smooth and comfortable. Y-TYPE ribbed arch structure with reinforced cushion padding in heel and toe can provide foot comfort experience and also enhanced durability in high-wear areas.
- BREATHABLE FABRICS - The fibers wick away sweat and moisture.The High Tech Polyester in these socks helps keeping smell fresh and keeping your feet dry without making them sweat all day.
- FITS ANY STYLE - These men's cushion cotton crew socks are very soft breathable and comfortable. Suitable for working, sports, outdoor, workout, training and various athletic pursuits or daily wear.
Method 2: Use Leather Conditioners & Leather Stretcher Spray
- 100 PERCENT PURE NEATSFOOT OIL: Bickmore Neatsfoot Oil moisturizes, softens, and conditions your favorite leather products. Our product is 100 percent pure with no added petroleum distillates.
- NATURALLY REPELS WATER: Neatsfoot oil naturally repels water, protecting your leather from the elements and extending its life.
- USE ON ALL FINISHED LEATHER PRODUCTS: Works great on shoes, boots, belts, wallets, baseball gloves, equestrian equipment, and more.
- WILL DARKEN MOST LEATHERS: Test on small inconspicuous area before using, please note that neatsfoot oil will darken most leather.
- MADE IN THE USA: Bickmore is proud to produce all Bickmore Neatsfoot Oil in the United States of America.
Currently, there are many Leather Conditioner products for cowboy boots on the market.
These products make the leather of boots soft and flexible. They shorten the time for breaking in cowboy boots.
In addition to that function, these products also make the cowboy boots leather shiny and look new. They maintain the boots in this way to make the boots durable, beautiful and long-lasting…
- PREMIUM SHOE STRETCHER: FootMatters Professional Shoe Stretch is a leather conditioner that is formulated to soften and stretch tight fitting shoes or boots, while you walk
- TRUSTED BRAND: We make the best products on the market to make sure your Shoes, Boots, Slippers and Sandals are comfortable and well taken care of, If you are not happy with your purchase, Please contact us and we will issue a refund
- WONT STAIN OR FADE: Safe and effective. The spray will go on clear and will never cause discoloration, no matter what color your shoes may be
- WORKS ON MULTIPLE MATERIALS: Works on a wide variety of materials, including: Leather, Suede, Canvas, Synthetics, Linens, Nubuck and Patent leather
- EASY TO USE: Shake bottle, Spray generously on the area you want to expand (inside and outside), put on your thickest pair of socks and immediately wear your Boots or Shoes, walk around in them till dry. Repeat as needed. You can also use a wooden shoe stretcher overnight instead of wearing the shoes after application
Besides, there are specialized sprays for stretch tight fitting boots, you can easily spray on the places where the boots need breaking in.
Method 3: Use Cowboy Boot Stretchers and Boot Shapers
- WESTERN STRETCHER: Designed specifically for western/cowboy style boots!
- BEECH WOOD: Foot stretching piece made from quality beech wood!
- BUNION PLUGS: Comes with 3 adjustable bunion plug pieces for stretching specific areas
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: Made with all metal stretching mechanisms for durability
- SINGLE STRETCHER: Sold as single stretcher.
Another way for your boots to form the foot is also very effective. That is using Boot Stretchers and Boot Shapers
This way has two advantages:
First: This method helps your boots stretch to a degree (You can adjust Boot Stretcher)
Second: You can keep your cowboy boots in shape
Cowboy boots are always characterized by a higher shaft than those of other boots. So keeping the shape of these cowboy boots is also important.
- Quantity: 5 pairs/10 sheets of boot shaper forms in a pack, suitable for different boots, sufficient for various needs
- Function: suitable for most kinds of boots, helps to protect your boots from wrinkles and keep them neat and beautiful, makes your shoe closet in good order
- Material and size: made of good quality PVC material, which is durable and flexible, helps to keep boots in good condition; suitable for various high, medium and low ankle boots
- Easy to use: it is flat, can be rolled up vertically and inserted into your boots, with good tension to full fill your boots and make them in a good shapes and prevent wrinkles and hanging down, with a hook on its top for easy taking out
- Keep your boots straight, beautiful, and organized for better ventilation, suitable for daily use and storage boots in winter or summer and reduce bending and hanging down, good helper in daily life
You should be careful when storing cowboy boots. Keeping the shape of the shaft neat and free of wrinkles is essential.
Method 4: Use a hair dryer
Use a hair dryer to heat the inside of your cowboy boots. Warm up areas where cowboy boots make your feet uncomfortable (Don’t get heat too high or it will affect the leather quality of your boots).
This will promote the breaking in process of cowboy boots. And the parts of cowboy boots that hurt your feet will free up some space.
Method 5: Use lotion
This way you can quickly achieve some stretch for your cowboy boots. The inside leather of the boots will become soft quickly without damaging your feet.
Method 6: Use alcohol to soften leather
It seems like you have a good reason to go to the grocery store to buy wine.
The key to stretch new leather boots is making leather softer. You can use alcohol or wine to rub the inside of the boots.
When the wine has evaporated, the boots will be comfortable.
Remember to use alcohol to break in cowboy boots, not to drink.
Method 7: Spray water
Using a spray bottle is also a good way for stretching your boots. To do that, just spray a little water (remember just a little bit) into the uncomfortable areas.
Do not overdo this way. After spraying, you should dry your boots by the natural wind. Keeping your boots dry will last their lives.
Read more: Are Cowboy Boots Waterproof?
- Tolco Empty Spray Bottle 8 oz. Frosted Assorted Colors
Method 8: Steam inside your cowboy boots
Same as method 7. Instead, this time use warm steam to soften the leather of your boots.
This method has the advantage of making the leather softer and way more effective than water spray.
You can use the steam of your home kettle by heating the inside of the cowboy boot with the steam of a boiling kettle.
Remember to dry the cowboy boots after using the steam method. Leaving the boots wet too long will affect the quality of leather
This is also the way that professional boot repair shops often use.
Method 9: Use boot trees
- WESTERN TREE: Designed specifically to fit western style cowboy boots!
- PAIRS: Receive a pair of western cedar boot trees to match with pairs of boots!
- CEDAR: Natural USA Cedar keeps boots smelling great while also absorbing moisture!
- SHAPE: Trees keep shape of boots to keep your western boots looking new!
- VAMP: High vamp design allows boot tree to perfectly fit Western style boots!
One way you can shorten the break-in time of cowboy boots is to use boot trees.
Boot trees have two primary uses: keep the shape of cowboy boots and dehumidify cowboy boots.
Moreover, you can use boot trees to support the break-in process of your boots.
Just insert boot trees inside cowboy boots and leave them overnight. That’s it!
You should own boot trees in the rainy season or snow. They can absorb moisture and keep cowboy boots from shrinking due to the cold weather.
In case your cowboy boots shrink due to weather or temperature, you might need to break in cowboy boots again. That’s when you need the boot trees to restore the shape of cowboy boots.
Usually, after resoling cowboy boots, you might have to “break in them again”.
Method 10: Use Ice
Another method to break in the foot of cowboy boots is to use a bag of… ice
It sounds a bit strange, but this unique way can help those who don’t have time to wear cowboy boots to shorten the break-in time.
All you have to do is prepare a plastic zipper bag and fill it with water. The amount of water in the bag must be a bit tight with the inside of the cowboy boots.
Then put all your boots in the freezer of the refrigerator. Leave overnight and you will get surprising results.
This method will relax the inside of the cowboy boots, then you can wear them comfortably.
Method 11: Give your cowboy boots a break
It may seem a bit contradictory to the “break-in” I mentioned above, but it is true that leather boots need to “breathe” between uses.
That helps limit the excessive elasticity of cowboy boots. Besides, it helps the leather cowboy boots to have time to “adjust” its shape to fit the wearer’s feet.
If using the boots 3 times / week, you should let them “take a rest” 1 day per week.
2 ways that you CANNOT use to break-in your cowboy boots
We have just skimmed through some articles that show the different ways to break in cowboy boots.
Surprisingly, there exist some “horrible” ways. They will really make you throw away your new cowboy boots.
The first horrible method: Submerge your cowboy boots into the water
Please don’t do that, they will kill your leather cowboy boots immediately.
Water is the number one enemy of all leather boots. Water is not only harmful to leather, but also extremely harmful to suede.
Suede boots can be softer, more comfortable than normal leather boots, but they are not as water-resistant as leather.
When cleaning cowboy boots, we have professional cleaning solutions and hygiene tools. These products were born to minimize leather contact with water.
As we said from the beginning that the first 3 methods mentioned above are the 3 most effective methods that don’t adversely affect cowboy boots.
For the stubborn leather cowboys boots, we should try other methods.
So you should never put your boots completely underwater with the hope of breaking in it.
You should carefully use leather products. In addition to specialized products for leather care, you should limit the use of other products.
(For example, if you want to use Olive oil to polish your boots. Don’t use them often, they can discolor your boots.)
Read More: How To Care For Ariat Workhog Boots
The second horrible method: Wear cowboy boots even at bedtime
Oh come on, you’re not a five year old kid: hug your new bike while you sleep.
I have read a number of articles that suggest wearing cowboy boots to bed to break in them. Unbelievable! This is the worst way because it is very harmful to your feet.
Obviously, while sleeping, your feet need to be as relaxed as possible for a good night’s sleep.
However, you may know that your new boots can hurt your feet when breaking in. And they recommend you wear them at bedtime? Totally ridiculous!
Doing so not only affects your sleep but it also causes serious foot problems
While you sleep, your feet are relaxed but a new cowboy boot is uncomfortably stiff. The next morning when you wake up, you will find that your legs are swollen with pain and the boots are not broken-in at all.
Believe me, don’t hurt yourself like that. Take your time and break in your cowboy boots while you’re awake – while your feet are strong.
Read more: Are Cowboy Boots Bad For Your Feet?
Before you leave
Before you leave, we have some tips for you. Hope they help:
If your new cowboy boots have heel slippage, don’t worry, this often happens in new cowboy boots. 1/4″ to 3/8″ of slippage will disappear once breaking in your boots.
Don’t be too upset about your new boots, just relax. With the new cowboy boots, foot pain in the beginning is normal. Time will make cowboy boots soft because that is their essence.
Don’t expose your cowboy boots to too much water or it can ruin the boots leather in a short time.
If the above methods do not work, it seems that you bought the wrong cowboy boots size. Or the boots are defective. You should go to a professional repair shop or contact customer service to find solutions or return.
For Ariat’s return and exchange policy, you need to exchange within 30 days. It is enough time for you to try the above methods.
[FAQ] What is the best way to break in cowboy boots?
That’s the first way, use your own feet to break in cowboy boots.
This will make your boots fit your feet perfectly after breaking in.
To help keep your feet from pain, use a pair of thick socks throughout the break-in period.
Once the cowboy boots are broken in, believe me, they will give you the best experience that no shoes can ever bring to you.
How long does it take to break in cowboy boots
Depending on how often you use your cowboy boots for 1 week. If you use about 5 days / week, or use the methods to accelerate the break-in process above, then your boots have successfully broken-in within 1 week.
If you wear it 2 to 3 days a week, it may take 2 to 3 weeks to break in the boots.
Of course this is just a subjective judgment based on our experience, we have used many cowboy boots of many different brands, especially Ariat.
The time to break in your cowboy boots can be faster or slower depending on the line of cowboy boots you are wearing (Workhog boots, Riding boots, Western Boots, Ankle Boots & Booties, Stockman …).
Read more: Most Expensive Womens Cowboy Boots
Are cowboy boots comfortable?
Sure, cowboy boots are extremely comfortable.
In fact, not all cowboy boots require a break-in period to please your feet. Some are very comfortable at the first time wearing them.
Cowboy boots are born to serve the wild west cowboys. They are durable and strong to defeat the harsh sun and wind in this place.
To serve cowboys all day wandering around the western pastures, cowboy boots need to be especially comfortable to wear, of course.
The insoles of cowboy boots are very flat and wide compared to other shoes or boots. Especially if you prioritize comfort, choosing rubber or leather outsoles.
How to break in cowboy boots fast?
Most people still break in their cowboy boots by wearing them often during the first few weeks – this is the most common way.
However, if you still want to break in boot faster, you can use some other tricks such as:
- Use cowboy boot stretcher and boot shapers
- Use leather conditioner
- Use a hair dryer
- Spray water
- Steam inside the cowboy boots
- Use alcohol
- Use lotion
In addition to 3 ways to break in cowboy boots: wear them regularly, use leather conditioner or use cowboy boot stretchers and boot shapers, please do not overdo the rest methods. These products are not specialized for leather boots, which might degrade leather quality. So if it’s not necessary, don’t apply these methods.
If it is not an emergency to use cowboy boots immediately, just take your time. Remember that any cut corners also have both sides.
How to break in cowboy boots overnight
This is a very good question.
As we answered in “2 ways that you CANNOT use to break in your cowboy boots”. You can’t wear cowboy boots even when you go to bed. That is very harmful to foot health.
Also, do not use water methods to break in cowboy boots overnight, they can ruin your cowboy boots.
However, there are many ways to break in boots overnight: using leather conditioner, lotion, alcohol or especially using cowboy boot stretchers and boot shapers. These ways are very effective to break in cowboy boots overnight.
- Using leather conditioner, lotion, alcohol to stretch cowboy boots: Just apply them inside the cowboy boots where you want to stretch, then leave them overnight.
- Using cowboy boot stretchers and boot shapers in cowboy boots: Put it on the inside of the cowboy boot, go to sleep and wait for the result.
Reminder: You should only use water methods to break in cowboy boots when you’re awake since you can dry your boots at that time. Don’t leave leather cowboy boots in water for too long or it will affect the quality of your boots.