Most cowboy boots are made from leather, the superiority of them is durability. The longer you wear them, the more comfortable cowboy boots are.
However, during use, cowboy boots cannot keep shiny forever, you need to have some methods to care and protect cowboy boots to keep them looking new.
It’s very simple! We will show you the most basic and common methods, they are easy to do and very economical.
How to make cowboy boots look new? Let’s check it out!
How to make cowboy boots look new?
Normally, if a pair of cowboy boots is well preserved, it can last up to 10 years, but that doesn’t mean your cowboy boots always shine.
Here are four simple ways to keep your cowboy boots always look new:
1/ Clean, condition and polish cowboy boots
Sure, your cowboy boots can’t look new if they’re dirty.
Step 1: Clean cowboy boots thoroughly
For leather cowboy boots:
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers. Due to production changes caused by recent events, some of our bottles may be clear instead of amber as pictured. The cleaner formula and contents are the same regardless of bottle color.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value — each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
Use a soft cloth and clean around the cowboy boots, carefully wipe at seam and welt.
Then use a leather cleaner with a horsehair brush to remove stubborn stains – apply leather cleaner on cowboy boots and then scrub every corner thoroughly.
Finally, take a spray bottle of warm water and spray on the surface of cowboy boots, then wipe off the remaining water and leather cleaner with a dry cloth to keep cowboy boots dry.
For suede cowboy boots:
You need to limit suede to contact with water because water will destroy suede quickly. Here is how to clean suede cowboy boots:
- Complete care for your suede and nubuck goods
- Deep cleans and conditions
- Removes tough stains, shiny marks, and water spots
- Protects against dust and dirt
Use a special brush to clean suede boots, scrub thoroughly to remove stains.
Then use the Cleaning Eraser to scrub nooks and crannies (such as welt, seams) thoroughly.
Use a special brush to continue scrubbing the entire surface of suede cowboy boots.
Next, apply suede cleaner to cowboy boots, then rub with a brush.
Once you see the cowboy boots are completely clean, you can stop.
Read more: How to clean cowboy boots
Step 2: Condition cowboy boots
This is a very important step, you should condition cowboy boots to make them durable and soft and to retain the original color. Conditioners will keep cowboy boots looking new.
Besides, the conditioner also helps waterproof boots against dirt.
Conditioners will help you reduce the cleaning times of cowboy boots – cleaning cowboy boots too often isn’t good anyway.
Just after cleaning the cowboy boots, apply a sufficient amount of conditioner and spread it on the surface of cowboy boots. You can use a hair dryer to help the conditioner quickly penetrate into the surface of cowboy boots.
- Leather conditioner cream with real beeswax and plant oils designed to melt when spread on by hand
- Heavy Duty LP waterproofs and resists acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals on leather work boots
- Condition, restore dried and sun faded leather furniture and leather auto interiors
- Complete leather care proven to resist mold/mildew, bacteria, scuffing, stitch tear, cracking
- Heavy Duty Leather Preservative is Made in the USA
Step 3: Polish cowboy boots
One last step to protect your cowboy boots, help them shine and keep their fresh color is to polish cowboy boots.
Polishing cowboy boots not only helps them shine, but it’s also like conditioner, it helps cowboy boots resist water and dirt.
After these 3 basic steps, your cowboy boots will look new very long.
- Easy-to-use product safely cleans and shines shoes
- Apply to smooth leather including boots, shoes, saddles and more
- Perfect for any shoes which are scuffed or scratched
- Produces a long lasting glossy shine
- Available in multiple colors - find the right one for your shoes
2/ Dye cowboy boots
For cowboy boots that have become discolored and completely old, dyeing is the best way to revive them.
Buy yourself a Leather dye kit (for leather or suede) and Color dye self-shine kit to turn your old boots into a new one.
- Water based dye
- High resistance to friction. Fast drying
It may take some time to dye cowboy boots, but the dyeing method is very simple. Don’t believe it? See here.
This cowboy boot dyeing method is a very economical way for you to get a new pair of cowboy boots without spending hundreds of dollars.
3/ Preserving cowboy boots
Good preservation for cowboy boots will help them always look new and ensure their durability.
Make sure your leather cowboy boots are stored in a dry place. Water is the enemy of leather, so keep your cowboy boots away from it.
When it comes to suede cowboy boots, you should store them in a dry and breathable place. Because suede cowboy boots need to breathe.
You should keep the cowboy boots upright with a boot shaper, to avoid creases that make them look ugly.
- SAVE YOUR PRECIOUS BOOTS!! No more creases and scuffs from being left on the floor so you get more wear from the footwear you love.
- Reclaim your space – no other boot organizer can store 5 pairs of boots in such a tiny footprint, just 10 x 20 inches of floor space. If you have an out of the way spot where a small adult can stand, you have space for the Solo!
- Supports boot shape and prevents creases, making traditional boot shapers and boot trees obsolete.
- Fits any kind of boot up to knee-high and comes with a 5 year warranty – if it breaks we’ll replace it
- Features the same patented boot hangers as our Boot Butler hanging boot storage rack, which is in over 20,000 homes and has 94% four and five-star reviews right here on Amazon!
A tip is that when cowboy boots get wet, use a bit of household powder or put absorbent paper inside the boots.
However, if you have a lot of cowboy boots and it’s the rainy season (or snow season), you should use a boot dryer to keep them dry.
Read more: How to care for cowboy boots
Another method to keep cowboy boots look new is using boot trees.
After a long time of use, cowboy boots can shrink, or lose their shape. With boot trees, you can restore your cowboy boots, keep them in shape and look new as you wish.
Just put boot trees in cowboy boots, leave them overnight. The next morning, your cowboy boots will become more comfortable, drier (boot trees can absorb moisture) and newer.
- WESTERN TREE: Designed specifically to fit western style cowboy boots!
- PAIRS: Receive a pair of western cedar boot trees to match with pairs of boots!
- CEDAR: Natural USA Cedar keeps boots smelling great while also absorbing moisture!
- SHAPE: Trees keep shape of boots to keep your western boots looking new!
- VAMP: High vamp design allows boot tree to perfectly fit Western style boots!
4/ Use household items to make cowboy boots look new
If you’re in a hurry and need to wear leather cowboy boots to go out but your house is out of polish or wax, you can use the items available in the house.
However, do not abuse these ways, abuse non-specialized products for leather can discolor cowboy boots easily.
Olive oil and lemon juice
Olive oil is a great alternative to polish. If you want your cowboy boots to be shiny, spray olive oil on the boots and rub it gently with a cloth.
Add a few drops of lemon juice to increase the shine. And now, enjoy your work!
Oils of fruits (Coconut, walnut…)
Besides using for cooking or conditioning your hair, you can use fruit oil to shine cowboy boots.
Apply some coconut oil on cowboy boots and use cloth to wipe the surface of boots, your boots will be much more shiny.
Rub banana peel all over the surface of your cowboy boots, then wipe with a dry cloth. That’s all. Now, you have shiny cowboy boots!
Have you ever thought of using alcohol to “beautify” your cowboy boots?
This is a pretty good idea!
Dip the alcohol into a cotton ball and rub it on your cowboy boots, then wipe with a cloth, your cowboy boots will be as shiny as new.
Flaxseed oil and vinegar
Create a mixture of flaxseed oil and vinegar in a 2:1 ratio and rub it on the surface of cowboy boots.
If you don’t have flaxseed oil, you can use water to mix with vinegar in a 1:1 ratio.
Try it, you will be amazed at the shine that this mixture brings!
You might be familiar with this method: vaseline. Many people use vaseline to shine their cowboy boots.
Just apply a little vaseline to a soft cloth and wipe it on the surface of cowboy boots. Done! You get shine and new shiny cowboy boots.
However, again, don’t overdo them!
Apply a little lotion to your cowboy boots with a small cotton swab, wipe it off and you’ll find your cowboy boots shinier than ever.
Using wax is one of the great methods to polish cowboy boots.
All you need to do is heat them until it gets soft and apply it to your leather cowboy boots. Then rub with a soft cloth until the cowboy boots get shiny.
- Sourced from beekeepers in Texas
- Clean and filtered, smells like honey naturally
- A free downloadable eBook of DIY skin care recipes is included with your purchase
- Use to make lip, beard and body balms, lotion bars, salves, body butters and more
You should apply the above methods only when you’re in a hurry. We don’t recommend using them all the time because homemade methods may not be suitable for some cowboy boots.
How do you fix discolored leather boots?
There are two basic ways to recover discolored boots:
The first is to polish your cowboy boots with wax that have the same color with the original color of your boots.
If the first option doesn’t work, you should buy dyes and dye your cowboy boots – this the most effective way. When your cowboy boots are discolored, don’t use homemade methods, they might make things worse.
Take care of your cowboy boots with specialized products to get their original color back!
How do I keep my cowboy boots looking new?
Take good care of your cowboy boots by cleaning, conditioning and polishing them.
Especially, please note the 2 steps: condition and polish cowboy boots.
If you condition and polish the cowboy boots properly, your cowboy boots can resist water, dirt and grime, thereby reducing the number of times you clean cowboy boots.
Not just cleaning cowboy boots as much as possible, you should preserve them well so that they can keep the new state longer.
For leather cowboy boots, they should be stored in a dry place and avoid being exposed to water. Use a boot shaper to keep the cowboy boots in shape.
For suede cowboy boots, you should store in a dry and ventilated place. Suede is different from leather, it needs to be breathed.
Don’t let cowboy boots get dirty for too long, you should clean and store them as soon as they get dirty.
You should use specialized products for cowboy boots and limit the use of homemade methods. Homemade ways should only be used when you need to shine cowboy boots immediately but don’t have a specialized product.
In short, proper cleaning, storage, and preservation methods will keep cowboy boots looking new longer.
Before you leave
The above methods are the best methods to make cowboy boots look new and keep them last long.
Take good care of your cowboy boots, they deserve it because they will accompany you for a very long time.
Cowboy boots are very durable and last for a long time, but their colors are new or not depending on your care.