Long shift patrols, hiking, deep jungle expeditions, long journeys, on duty… Tactical boots are no stranger to these jobs and activities.
With just a glimpse, you can see that tactical boots can be used for various activities that require a lot of energy, physical strength, and of course sweat.
Therefore, tactical boots having smell is a very common condition. Most of the time, it’s because you didn’t clean or keep the tactical boot dry properly.
Today’s article offers a variety of strategies for controlling tactical boot odor and leaving a pleasant, lasting fragrance.
Get ready to learn how to deodorize tactical boots!
- How to deodorize tactical boots?
- Method 1: Clean the inside of the tactical boot
- Method 2: Use shoe odor spray
- Method 3: Use an air purifying bag
- Method 4: Use boot trees
- Method 5: Use household powder
- Method 6: Use tea or coffee grounds
- Method 7: Use socks
- Method 8: Keep your tactical boots dry
- Method 9: Replace insoles
- Method 10: Uses tactical boots with anti odor technology
How to deodorize tactical boots?
There are many ways to deodorize tactical boots, from using household items to specialized products for deodorizing boots.
We’ll show you how!
Method 1: Clean the inside of the tactical boot
Don’t be shy! Let’s stand up and clean the inside of your tactical boot immediately. This is the first thing you will need to do to deodorize your tactical boots.
One of the main causes of stinking tactical boots is because bacteria and stains stay inside the boots for a long time.
This not only makes the tactical boots stink, but it also can affect your foot health in the long run.
The part you need to clean first is the insoles of your tactical boots. This is where a lot of sweat and stains pile up, so the insoles are easy to smell.
Most tactical boots are made from three main materials: leather, suede and nylon. Each material will have a different cleaning method.
Luckily, we’ve prepared an article on how to clean the inside of tactical boots for you here. The instructions are very thorough!
Method 2: Use shoe odor spray
- ELIMINATE ODORS: Stop masking odors with flowery sprays Eliminate them with FunkAway Use on clothes,...
- POWERFUL FORMULA: The exclusive OM Complex eliminates the toughest odors to keep things smelling...
- FOR STUFF YOU CAN'T PUT IN THE WASH: Extend the life of your bulky, non washable gear with this...
Another good way to make the tactical boots free of odor and cool is the use of shoe odor spray.
Shoe odor spray is a specialized product you can easily find on the market to improve the scent of your tactical boots.
What you need to do is pretty simple, just spray directly inside the tactical boot, and you’re done.
This way, the tactical boots no longer smell bad, but get a cool scent instead.
It is best to use shoe odor sprays with natural scents like mint, you should avoid artificial scents.
However, this will be effective when tactical boots stink due to the long-lasting mold moisture, or they’re not too dirty.
Choose shoe odor sprays with natural extracts that will have a more pleasant scent and won’t irritate your skin.
If the tactical boots are too dirty, clean them first.
Method 3: Use an air purifying bag
- Natural Charcoal Odor Absorber-Made of just one incredibly powerful natural ingredient-activated...
- Bamboo Charcoal Bags : Each bag has metal hanging ring and sealed inside a breathable linen bag that...
- Perfect for Any Where- The incredibly powerful type of charcoal has millions of tiny little pores...
Another product on the market that you can find to remove the smell of tactical boots is the air purifying bag.
The main material to make air purifying bags is usually bamboo charcoal. And bamboo charcoal has the ability to absorb odors and moisture very well.
One of the main reasons tactical boots appear foul because they are moldy or have been stored in humid environments for long periods of time.
The air purifying bag with bamboo charcoal takes the problem seriously, deodorizes your tactical boots and dries them out pretty well.
In addition, bamboo charcoal is a natural product that is not harmful to health.
Method 4: Use boot trees
- USA CEDAR: Shoe Trees made from Premium Tennessee Cedar Wood!
- SPLIT TOE: Unique slider-plate adjustable split toe design for perfect width fit!
- SOLD IN PAIRS: Choose as many pairs as you need to bring life back to your shoe collection
Boot trees aren’t just for tactical boot users. Anyone who has boots should have boots trees in their home.
Boot trees are primarily a desiccant that can keep the tactical boots dry, and retain the boot shape. Also, boot trees are made from cedar, so they leave a pleasant fragrance in the tactical boots after a while.
As mentioned above, one of the main reasons the tactical boots smell so bad is due to getting wet for a long time. Boot trees with a hygroscopic effect will dry the boots out and remove any odors.
All you have to do is choose boot trees that match your tactical boots and put them inside the boots. Just one night, boot trees will completely deodorize the musty smell of your tactical boots.
Ultimately, boot trees are a valuable companion of tactical boots.
Method 5: Use household powder
- Convenient resealable packaging
- To thicken gravies, sauces, stews, or soups, use 1 tbsp of Argo Corn Starch in place of 2 tbsp....
- Safe for gluten-free cooking
If you are looking for an inexpensive way to deodorize tactical boots, the household powder can help. For your references, here are some household powers you can find: cornstarch, talcum powder, baby powder, baking soda.
To apply, just sprinkle a thin layer of powder on the inside of your tactical boots. The powder will absorb moisture and odors inside them.
This is a very effective method to deodorize tactical boots. Many people use this method during the rainy season to dry their boots, preventing them from getting damp.
Method 6: Use tea or coffee grounds
If you are afraid of using household powder because you don’t want to consume too much flour. You can make use of tea or coffee grounds.
Why not? Take advantage of the coffee grounds or tea grounds you’ve used. While they’re still damp, put them in a small cloth bag and tuck the bag inside the tactical boot.
Leave the cloth bag with the coffee grounds (or tea grounds) in the tactical boot overnight. The next morning, you’ll get the tactical boot with a pleasant scent.
If you do not know what kind of coffee to use, then I suggest using Vietnamese coffee. It is definitely the most aromatic and delicious coffee in the world. Get yourself a cup of coffee and use the coffee grounds to treat your beloved boots!
Method 7: Use socks
- Full cushion construction provides maximum comfort in all areas of the sock
- Anti-odor technology helps prevent odor in the sock
- Material wicks sweat and dries fast
The tactical boots, of course, can easily smell if you wear them without socks. Foot sweat will quickly penetrate inside the boots.
So we recommend using socks when wearing tactical boots. And because tactical boots are commonly used for heavy activities, you should wear thick cushioned socks.
Thick padded socks have two benefits: absorb moisture better and support your feet.
- When you are active, sweat will appear a lot and can easily give off odors in the boots. The socks with a thick cushion work to absorb sweat and prevent odors in your tactical boots.
- There are also many types of socks on the market today with very good arch and heel support. This is essential for activities that require a lot of exercise and sweat.
Method 8: Keep your tactical boots dry
Prevention is better than cure. Besides cleaning tactical boots, it is important to dry them to prevent the bad smell from appearing.
The tactical boots can produce odor if they stay damp for a long time. So make sure they are always dry and stored in a cool, dry place.
Alternatively, if you use wet weather tactical boots, especially during winter or rainy seasons, you should have a boot dryer ready. The boot dryer can dry multiple tactical boots at once.
While using the tactical boots, try to tighten the laces around your ankles to make sure rainwater doesn’t get into the boots.
- Forced-air boot, glove, and garment dryer works on four garments simultaneously
- Includes two removable extension tubes for use with boots up to 16 inches tall; whisper quiet rotary...
- Heats to 105 degrees F (40.5 degrees C); safe for liners, clothes, and boots; Includes two removable...
Method 9: Replace insoles
- Designed for men over 200 pounds who suffer from lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being...
- Arch guard plus shock guard technology distributes weight and reduces impact
- Relieves lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being on your feet; Specially designed for men...
The tactical boot insole is the part that exposes sweat a lot and contains many bacteria. That’s why the insoles easily become the smelling place in your boots.
In case the insoles are too old and dirty, you should replace them rather than trying to clean them.
If the tactical boot insoles cannot be retrieved, try to clean them as much as possible, then put new insoles on top.
By the way, you should choose the insole with good heel and arch support to get the best support for your activities.
Method 10: Uses tactical boots with anti odor technology
- DWR treated Leather & 900D nylon textile upper
- Polishable toe.Quick-dry minimalist design
- Anti-odor technology applied to molded Ortholite sockliner to prevent the growth of odor-causing...
Knowing the struggles of tactical boot users, many brands have developed tactical boots with anti odor technology. You won’t have to spend a lot of time deodorizing boots anymore.
In addition, there are tactical boots that are waterproof, dry quickly… These features will help the tactical boots to reduce moisture and less odor.
There are two types of tactical boots: hot weather and wet, nasty weather tactical boots. The latter get all the advantages we mentioned above.
Wet weather tactical boots are ideal choices for those who don’t have a lot of time with tactical boots (or just lazy), or who regularly work in humid environments (rain, snow).
In short, the most effective method for deodorizing tactical boots is to clean the boots, inside and out.
After cleaning, if the bad smell still exists, you should determine where the odor comes from. If the cause is damp tactical boots, you can use boot trees, household powder, boot dryer, air purifying bag, ect.
But if the tactical boots are stinking due to your body odor (e.g sweat of your feet) and you cannot clean it completely, using shoe odor spray, tea or coffee grounds, etc. are good ways to deodorize your boots.
Also, make sure to keep tactical boots in a dry, well-ventilated place. This way, you can minimize your effort of deodorizing the boots and prevent them from stinking too.